"A cornerstone of community-based food systems are direct-to-consumer sales outlets, such as farmers markets, weekly farm share subscriptions (commonly known as Community Supported Agriculture, or CSAs), and farm stands. Direct-to-consumer markets—a $439 million industry in Pennsylvania—are shortening the distance the food we eat travels, contributing to local economies, and increasing access to high-quality, nutritious food.”
-PASA 2019 Impact Report
Ten Reasons Why You Should Buy From Farmers Markets:
1. Enjoy the tastiest, freshest produce in season.
2. Know where your food and other products come from.
3. Support sustainable and ethical practices.
4. Reduce your environmental footprint.
5. Support neighboring growers, makers, and the local economy.
6. Save money. Buying directly from producers eliminates the “middlemen” and shipping costs.
7. Improve your health and nutrition.
8. Learn about and try new foods and recipes.
9. Build community: Everyone is welcome!
10. Have fun!
To read more about each reason open the file below